OK, when I said leaked, it's not the water leak but rather information on the features of the new and anticipated OS 4.0 for iPhone. What I heard is that people at Boy Genius Report heard some news from one of their trusted source about the new upcoming OS 4.0 for iPhone. Words has been around town that the people at Cupertino had been testing the new OS 4.0 few months back and rumors has it, it was for the new iPhone 4G. Excitement and anticipation are growing each day as everyone is waiting for D-Day on the 27th Jan at 10am, when Apple will reveal their 'Latest Creation'. iTable is a confirm agenda of the day but rumors are mounting that Apple is gonna show their Demo iPhone OS 4.0 on the same day too. Only selected media and people are invited for the special occasion. Now let's get back to the OS 4.0 features.
According to the trusted source, the good news about the new OS 4.0 is, allowing 3rd party iPhone apps to be run on the background. There is also a revamp on the GUI which said to be more user friendly. But do take note that these changes only applies to iPhone 3G, 3GS and newer version of iPod Touch. So for those who are still using 2G, it's time to upgrade. This is what BGR sources had to say about the new OS 4.0.
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- “A few new ways” to run applications in the background — multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven’t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G
and 3GS, but will “put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers” more than any other phone to date. Everyone is “really excited.”
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
It's really nice to hear that Apple had finally open up to 3rd party apps to run on their background. I am currently using ProSwitcher which is really useful and also user friendly for switching between apps without closing them. So if the new OS 4.0 is as good as it sound, I might even considered upgrading my OS 3.0.